Sunday, June 3, 2007

Speaking of brilliance... (By Lauren)

So almost 3 weeks ago now, I was walking down 43rd around 9th and 10th and all of a sudden my leg buckled under me and I started to fall over. Though I caught myself, I felt a distinct wave of pain in my foot/ankle because the outside of my foot had inverted and I think I actually stepped on it with the top of my foot...if that makes any sense. I turned around to see what had caused my semi-embarassing-quasi-fall, and saw some concrete that had eroded (like if a weed had grown out of it) and was about 2-3 inches above the rest of the sidewalk. I had stepped directly on it and my ankle had "inverted" , etc. Boo, who can I sue? So I was limping around the next few days but just figured it was a strain or a sprain. I tried to get back to working out, which I had been doing 4-5 times a week since January/February. I've lost 10 pounds so you can imagine my dismay when week 1 went by, and then week 2, and my ankle still hurt when I used it too often, despite my efforts to ice, wrap, elevate, and down bottles of ibuprofen (ok...I had a few a day...pills, not bottles.) So I finally went to the doctor on Friday and low and behold there is a gap (called diastasis) between where my tibia and my fibula (the 2 shin bones) are supposed to over lap (A normal ankle is shown in the picture above). From what I understand, my injury is called a high ankle sprain . How do you fix it when diastasis is involved? Oh you know, SURGERY....involving putting a pin or two in to connect the tibia and the fibula until the ligament heals (2-3 months) HAPPY SUMMER! So now I am wearing this hot boot (the tall one) to walk around:


I am scaring small children with this thing. One even gave me a crusty look. How sad.

Anyways, I see an orthopedist tomorrow morning who will probably tell me if I'll need surgery or just a cast or nothing...so wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Marishka said...

Lo - That's awful! You need to take your case to the NYC Board of Stuff that Sucks, for sure. Contact city hall or something? I'm not that sue-happy, but seriously, that's pretty bad. Ok, good luck!