Tuesday, May 22, 2007

One of those classic post-college dilemas

While I was sitting at my temp job today, I started thinking about how many friends I have in Los Angeles. Hmmm...of course there's my roomie and also my boyfriend (these are not one and the same person- Lauren is much braver than I and lives with her bf.)

There's EO and her boyfriend, MB, AC and DC (resisting making obvious but horribly lame joke here), NA, and ST...and that's about it. Oh, and RH, but she and I still haven't seen each other in an entire year of living in the same city for the first time ever.

Now, of course this is a decent number of people to know. And don't get me wrong, I adore each and every one of these individuals, even the couple I'm still getting to know. They are all wonderful friends and wonderful human beings.

Here's the catch. I've lived here for nigh on seven months now. And exactly two of these people are really new to me since I moved here- and I worked with one of them.

Yes, of course it is (almost) always difficult to become acquainted with those around you when you are young and new in a city and not part of an educational institution. See, I was looking forward to having a chance to meet people outside of the confines of school. Most of my favorite people in life I've met through some sort of work situation or by very interesting sets of circumstances (once waiting for a bus in Pittsburgh, PA, I kid you not) Hmmmmm.

I'm not looking for *vewwy bestest fwiends* I'm fortunate enough to have more than a couple of those, and I don't require them to be within a 20 mile radius of me. Just knowing they're a phone call away (cliche! but true!) is lovely, at least for now.

What I'm after is widening the circle of people I consort with and frolic with and have a drink with. I want to expand my little world here. Expanding my little world always helps it grow roots and follow gravity.

Well, those are my thoughts for today...
I fully own up to their cliche-dism (yes, it's a word now. Why? Because I say so.) But hey, I'm young and "artsily" inclined- and if I can't spout cliches, well, then who can?

No comments: