Friday, May 25, 2007

Skeletons and Celebrities (By Lauren)


I saw a skeleton jog past me this morning on West End Avenue. Ok, actually it was a girl in her twenties who only looked like a skeleton because she was so obviously underweight. Should I assume she had an eating disorder? Or is that an unfair assumption?


I am personally fascinated with eating disorders, and I think most of society could say the same thing because they buy the US Weekly and In Touch magazines that claim to know all about the eating disorders of celebs like Nichole Richie and Mary Kate Olsen. A friend of mine who works at an New York PR firm also claims that Hilary Duff has an eating disorder because she saw her at some event they were working and she said her head looked humongous because her body was so small. Maybe its natural? (like in the case of Calista Flockhart or Portia de Rossi...who both happened to become much healthier looking after Ally McBeal finished airing....I guess their naturally skinny frames just became naturally bigger once the camera was off of them...hmmm, lets think about that one....)


Really, if I had that many people looking at and admiring (or judging?) me everyday, maybe I'd have an eating disorder too. Though I think eating disorders may be more of an LA thing than a NY thing. What do you think Mer? Maybe its not chic to have an eating disorder in NY, and maybe I should have told that to the skeleton who ran by me this morning. She must not know.


Happy Memorial Day weekend. I hope you eat your hearts out (and don't regurgitate it on purpose!!) Love from your favorite optimist, ~LB

No comments: